How to get a Spanish NIE Number: Complete guide
What is a Spanish NIE, NIE is abbreviation of Número de Identificación de Extranjero. is the identification number in Spain for everyone who is not a Spanish citizen. Is issued to all who want to stay in spain for a period for more than 90 days.
The Spanish NIE number starts with a letter, followed by seven numbers and another letter in the end. Every NIE number is individual and not transferable.
How to apply for NIE.
Follow these steps to obtain a NIE number:
Step 1: Fill out the NIE application form (EX-15), and print. You can also obtain this form at any NIE office. You must fill out the form in Spanish
Step 2: Make an appointment Online : One has to make an appointment to submit your petition of NIE, Check this link to make an appointment or through App Cita previa.
- In PROVINCIAS DISPONIBLES choose Barcelona.
- In TRÁMITES DISPONIBLES PARA LA PROVINCIA SELECCIONADA choose Certificados UE (if you are from the European Union), or Expedicion de tarjeta de identidad de extranjero (heulla) if you are from overseas
- Click Aceptar
- Click Entrar
- Fill in your information:
- Choose PASAPORTE and enter your passport number below
- Nombre y apellidos = name and surname
- País de nacionalidad = your nationality
- In Caracteres enter what you see on the picture above
- Click Aceptar
Once you get your appointment you need to prepare you checklist to submit your documents one the day.
Ster 3: Necessary documents to Submit
- Original Passport and Xerox ( All pages)
- Empadronamiento – you will need to go to the town hall and register yourself as living in the area
- Complete EX-15 form
- 3 recent passport size photo
- Document proving why you need a Spanish NIE number, which differs depending on your intentions. In most cases it is:
- Student : You acceptance letter / Admission letter
- Job : Job contract with spanish company
- NIE fees
For the next step we have to wait till you petition is accepted, you can check status by this link
Step 4: Once your application gets approved you need take an appointment by the following Link
Select Province :
- Step 1 : Barcelona (In our case)
- Step 2 : Select option Expedición de Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero.
- Ster 3 : Policia Tomo de Huellas
- Fill all necessary information
- Choose the date adequate for you
Step 5 : After you apply your NIE
You will receive two documents
- Resguardo de Solicitud de NIE
- Tasa de pago, Fill your NIE number and pay Tax for the card
After four weeks, go to Carrer de Mallorca, 213, You do not need an appointment for this. When you clear security, Bring the paper they gave you when you submitted your application, Old NIE and your passport.